St Augustine College of South Africa
Catholic Theological Society of Southern Africa
Faith in the Face of Secularism
28 – 31 August 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Call for Papers:
abstracts (between 400 and 600 words) by 1st May 2011
final versions (optional) & registration by 1st June 2011
The aim of the conference is to provide a forum for interdisciplinary dialogue
about the relationship between faith and secularism.
Our particular focus will be a comparison of African and global forms of secularism
as presented in the diverse cultural context.
Papers on the following topics or on similar issues are welcome:
- Specificity of Secularism in Different Religious Traditions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism)
- Secularism in the Face of Traditional African Religions
- Role of Ecumenism & Interfaith Dialogue in a Secularised World
- Distinction Sacred / Secular in Different Contexts (Theological, Philosophical, Social, etc.)
- How to Define Secular in a Way that is not Antireligious?
- Secularism: a Threat or an Opportunity for Faith?
- Challenges of Faith in a Postmodern Society
- Meaning of Faith in a Global World
- Family and Gender in a Secularised Society
- Media and Secularism
The keynote speakers invited to the conference are:
Cardinal Peter Turkson (Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, Ghana/Vatican)
& Dr Julie Clague (University of Glasgow, Scotland).
There will be two panel discussions:
- Intercultural: Archbishop Buti Tlhagale (South Africa), Rev. Dr John Prior (Indonesia), Rev. Prof. Tomas Halík (the Czech Republic)
- Interfaith: Swamiji Shivashankarananda (Hinduism), Annie Leatt (Buddhism), Rev. Dr Laurenti Magesa (African Religions), Rabbi Dr Robert Ash (Judaism), Bishop Müller (Christianity), Dr Rashied Omar (Islam)
The selected papers (around 8-10), sharing the same thematic scope, will be published by the South African journal Missionalia. Other articles may be published in St Augustine Papers.
Enquiries and Abstracts / Registration Form:
Ms Nontando Hadebe & Dr Jakub Urbaniak
School of Theology, St Augustine College of South Africa, P.O. Box 44782, Linden, 2104 Johannesburg, RSA
Phone: +27 11 380 90 86 / Fax: +27 11 380 92 86